Did you know that nearly 30 people die every day in auto accidents involving drunk drivers? According to the CDC, such crashes cost the country more than $51 billion each year. In South Carolina specifically, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that in only one year, 315 individuals were killed in traffic accidents caused by alcohol-impaired drivers.
While you can’t change what happened, all responsible parties should be held accountable. Liable parties can include the bar who served the motorist before the accident or a private host if they serve someone they know is under the age of 21.
$25,000 in bodily injury liability per person and $50,000 per accident are all that is required of drivers in South Carolina to carry. Restaurants and bars that have a license to sell alcohol that will be consumed on their premises are required to carry a minimum of $1 million in liability insurance. Likewise, caps on homeowners insurance are also sometimes higher than auto insurance caps, so if the intoxicated driver who struck you or your loved one is an underage drinker who had been drinking at someone’s house before the crash, you may be able to sue the host for compensation. Medical bills and the cost of recovery after being in an accident with a drunk driver can quickly add up. You can see why it may be a good idea to file a third-party claim against a bar or homeowner. Our lawyers are here to help you make those decisions and recover everything you deserve.
If you or someone you love was one of this year’s DUI accident victims, turn to John Price Law Firm, LLC. We provide compassionate yet appropriately aggressive representation to injured individuals throughout South Carolina. We also pursue maximum compensation for families in wrongful death cases. You can count on our Charleston lawyers to be diligent advocates for you.
Types Of Compensation In Drunk Driving Accidents
Victims of drunk driving accidents may be eligible for several different types of compensation. Compensatory damages are available to cover lost wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering, loss of companionship and other losses.
Economic damages- these are expenses of a material nature that were incurred as a direct result of the drunk driver accident and include:
- Medical bills- this may include costs for treating your injuries and also ongoing medical care and therapy
- Lost wages- when you are unable to return to work due to your injuries you may receive compensation for the amount of the wages lost
- Car repairs- This includes fixing your vehicle and includes other property that was damaged in the accident
- Funeral expenses- Funeral and burial expenses may be covered when a wrongful death claim is filed because of losing a loved one to a drunk driver
Noneconomic damages- this type of compensation covers non-material hardships or injury including:
- Pain and suffering- you may receive compensation for both emotional and physical repercussions from your accident with a drunk driver
- Disability or disfigurement- if you sustain long-term injuries or permanent scarring from your accident you may receive compensation
- Loss of companionship- this compensation may be collected through a personal injury lawsuit or through a wrongful death lawsuit
Punitive damages, on the other hand, may be awarded to the victim in addition to compensatory damages. They are intended as a financial punishment to the wrongdoer and as a deterrence to others who may also act in a reckless, wilful, and wanton manner. Punitive damages exist when there are aggravating circumstances.
Former Prosecutor Now Fighting For DUI Victims
Founding attorney John Price is a former state prosecutor who has prosecuted numerous drunk drivers and habitual traffic offenders. Now, he puts his 25-plus years of trial experience to work for DUI accident victims. Instead of placing DUI offenders behind bars, he now fights for the money victims need to recover and move forward with life.
Contact John Price Law Firm, LLC, to arrange a free initial consultation. Call us at (843) 552-6011 or send us an email.