John Price Law Blog

How to Obtain a Copy of Your Police Report in SC

The circumstances of every car accident are unique, so it may be difficult to discern when you need to contact the authorities. With a traffic collision occurring every 3.6 minutes, South Carolina is considered one of the most dangerous states to drive in.

If you operate a motor vehicle in South Carolina, it is important to understand the laws surrounding filing a police report. Below, our motor vehicle accident attorneys break down what you need to know when driving in the Palmetto State.

What is a Police Report?

A police report is a written document that compiles the major factors involved in an accident. The report may be used by the victim of the crash in filing a claim with insurance.

A police report will include the following information:

When the Police Are Called to the Scene of the Crash

According to South Carolina Code §56-5-1270, if you were involved in an accident that resulted in injuries, death, or property damage of $1,000 or more, you should contact law enforcement.

If a police officer was called to the accident scene, then within 24 hours of completing the investigation, the officer must forward a written report to the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles. The report must include any interviewed vehicle occupants and witnesses. If a bicyclist or motorcyclist was involved and suffered a head injury, the injury must be included in the report.

How Do I Get a Copy of My Police Report?

If you were in a car crash in Charleston, South Carolina, you have two ways of obtaining a copy of an accident report:

  1. You can call (843) 577-7434 and Press Option 1 or
  2. You can visit the Records Office at the Police Headquarters at 180 Lockwood Boulevard. There is a $5 charge for each copy of your police report.

Benefits of Filing a Report

Besides detailing your injuries and the extent of vehicle damage, the police officer who files the report will draw his or her own conclusion regarding who is responsible for the accident. Formal documentation of the accident increases your chances of insurance accepting your claim since it is being told from an unbiased perspective.

Disputing a Report

If you disagree with any information contained within an accident report, you will need to contact the officer who responded to the accident. If the error is in relation to any substantive information, you will need to provide reliable evidence to disprove the statement.

Speak with a Charleston Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney Now

A motor vehicle accident can leave you with injuries and medical expenses that almost make it impossible to move on following the traumatic event. At John Price Law Firm, LLC, we understand that compensation is necessary to fully heal following a crash. To learn how we can help, contact us by calling (843) 552-6011 or by filling out our online contact form. We offer free consultations scheduled at your convenience.